Thursday, July 23, 2009

How to Eat Banku

Adwoa (pronounced Awed-jo-wah), one of the third grade children I each here, invited me to her house Wednesday night to have dinner with her mom and dad. I have a lot I could write about Adwoa, who has become a favorite of our group's for her smiles, manners, and English speaking ability, but for now I'll stay focused on dinner. Enter Banku.

I learned how to eat Banku on the fly last night. What I thought would be a cordial conversation and introduction to the parents of one of my students turned into dinner and a movie. And just as you only need one TV for many to enjoy a movie, you only need one bowl for many to enjoy Banku. So Adwoa, her father, her baby sister, her mother's brother, and I shared a bowl of Banku, dipping our sticky hands back into the bowl after each finger-licking-good bite.

Banku is a corn-based dish that is served hot in a bowl, in addition to a soup of some sort. It's eaten with your right hand (using your left hand for anything, especially food, is taboo as it is reserved for hygiene purposes), so prior to the meal a bowl of soapy water is passed around for all to use to wash only their right hands.

The meal was a phenomenal experience. The language barrier was difficult with Adwoa's non-english speaking parents, but Adwoa translated a few of their sentences to me that came through crystal clear: I should enjoy the Banku, come again on another night, and take Adwoa home to the United States with me once she finishes her high school education.

I told them, politely, that I could do 2 out of the 3; it was what I couldn't do that broke my heart. For now, I'll just continue to enjoy the Banku.

Adwoa, above, in her school uniform, accessorized with some of our group's stickers.