Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ghana: Operation Crossroads Africa


"Make a difference for others, see the difference in yourself." This is the motto for Operation Crossroads Africa, the organization sponsoring my seven week humanitarian mission to Ghana this summer.

While in Ghana, I'll work as a member of a team of nine college-age students from the US on a mission in a rural village focused on community development through education. Though our mission is slightly unclear, the other "Crossroaders" and I will work specifically on constructing parts of the school and its furniture, as well as working with teachers and the children in the village.

Since early Tuesday morning our team has worked on team-building and cultural training at Adelphi University on Long Island in New York that will prepare us for what is sure to be tremendous culture shock. We've heard a number of briefings on medical precautions, the importance of communication and selflessness on teams, and the importance of flexibility and patience when entering another culture. Our team is extremely optimistic about the journey we're about to embark on together.

Though our mission has nothing whatsoever to do with military affairs, I've found the similarities between my military training at West Point and our group's preparations over the course of the last 48 hours to be striking. Mission focus is paramount. Planning is essential. And team-building - especially trust-building - is mission-critical. With these in mind, I feel that our team is on track for a successful summer, as we learn more about Ghana/Africa, and along the way build lasting friendships.

While in Ghana, I hope to stay in touch through e-mails home, a couple of articles for the Midland Daily News, and semi-regular updates of this blog. All of this will be technology-dependent. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get internet access at some points along the way. "Snail mail" to Ghana is unreliable, but I would love to keep in touch and hear responses to what I write through e-mail to tylergmatthews@gmail.com.

Find out more about the organization that President Kennedy called the "progenitor of the Peace Corps" by visiting the Operation Crossroads Africa website.